Saturday, February 19, 2011

Northern Arizona Snowblind




Left Zion Canyon last night after I couldn't find a place to park the van without risking some hassle, thought I would just get back on I-15, head south, pull into the first rest area and call it a night. I was about an hour outside of Las Vagas when I decided that I-15 just isn't really into rest areas, so I turned off and started driving towards Hoover Dam. I found a nice place to sleep in Lake Mead National Rec Area at the Bowl of Fire lookout.

It was nice to sleep in warmer climate. The wind was blowing, and it rained all night, but I was kept warm the whole night through. I wanted to take a picture this morning, but it was still raining, so the one in the upper left is about five miles down the road from where I slept.

After getting back on the road, I decided I would start heading towards Tucsan Arizona so I can stop in and see my old roommate. Plus get a shower in.

The road through Arizona was a mess. I took I-40 and ran into a massive snow storm that culminated in right around two hours of sitting behind an accident. Not a big deal, though. I have no schedule, no hard commitments to any certain place. I just took my time and did some reading. For those of you that have never seen or heard of Arizona snow, to the right is a picture I took from the van. It got much worse later on, which is why I couldn't pull over to take any pictures of the actual storm.

Right now, I'm in Anthem Arizona at a Starbucks. I needed a quick reprieve from the road, but will soon get back out and drive the rest of the way to Tucsan. Should take me around two and a half hours. Not sure what's next after this. I'm going to try and see if I can't make a bit of money here while I have access to a shower so I don't smell like ass and look like I'm living out of a van. Might spend a few days out in the desert later on next week as well. Just mulling over some options.

No comments:

Post a Comment