Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 16

Got to New Orleans last night around 10 pm. The kids that I gave the ride to were great. Cari gave me dinner and use of her shower. Both her and Clayton bought me some drinks last night. It was a good time and felt like meeting up with old friends rather than meeting new people.

Today I went out in the French Quarter to busk and try and make a few bucks since I need to get $40-ish to get to Mississippi. The town was dead, though, and I was unable to make any cash, which is alright, as I had tempered my expectations. The only people making money today were the super old dude one man band and the pretty girl playing the cello.

I was joined by a banjo playing drifter from North Carolina who's been hitchhiking around for about a month. He was shoeless, and at first had some charm about him. He bought us a beer which we shared on some stoop. Soon afterward, he just became loud and the charm had worn off. I ditched him shortly after and came back to the van, where I'm stealing internet and writing this.

Cari has invited me to attend a Barbecue tonight, so I'll be getting another free meal, which is great, since I spent my last dime today on a po' boy sandwich, which was wonderful. And I would have felt as though I'd cheated myself if I were here and didn't have one. After dinner, I'm going to go play on Frenchmen street and see if I can't make some money. Then go back to the French Quarter tomorrow and give it another go.

In someways, I'd really like to stay here longer, as the people have been incredibly hospitable and I've enjoyed their company, but I just don't want to settle in. I'm just not ready for it yet. Unfortunately the craigslist for this city doesn't offer much in the way of work, so I'll be here until someone pays me to play music.

No comments:

Post a Comment